- Chandigarh adjudged “’Best City in Sanitation” by Ministry of Urban Development, Govt. of India scoring 73.48 points with Mysore 2nd and Surat as 3rd on the basis of National Survey Data on City Sanitation in 2009.
- New dumper placers, garbage bins, tractors and other necessary items for garbage collection & transport added to the system.
- “Bin Free Sector Scheme” extended to 30 sectors, Ram Darbar and Modern Housing Complex, Manimajra.
- Over 250 toilets in various markets of the city and green belts constructed.
Total Sanitation Program of UPA Govt. launched in the City.
DISPOSAL OF WASTE/GARBAGE
- Solid Waste Treatment Plant started on PPP mode.
- A device for Bio-Medical Waste Management installed.
- Sehaj Safai Kendras established in different parts of the city for garbage collectors to deposit and separate solid waste.