To make classroom work interactive, participative, enjoyable, long-lasting and more enriching, opening of Smart Schools started.
Facility for synergizing various media of teaching like text, audio, video, graphics, animations, for increased student involvement and enrichment of the learning experience. This leads to increased retention and stronger grasp of the subject at hand and widens the students’ awareness canvas.
The newly constructed Govt. High School, Sector 50, inaugurated as a Smart School.
New Govt. High School, Sector 53, was made functional during the academic session 2012-13.
The e-content used in the Smart Schools was strictly mapped to NCERT books and was prepared in-house by a group of local teachers.
- Fifteen computer labs established in different Schools
- Three new integrated school buildings.
- Revamping of Mid-day Meal Scheme.
- 9 new schools with excellent buildings constructed in southern Sectors. Followed by another 15 new schools. 15 Schools upgraded by constructing new floors for additional classrooms. Govt. High School Started in Vikas Nagar (Moulijagran).
- A Vocational-cum-Production Centre constructed in Sector 46-D.
- Toilets & RO drinking water facilities provided in 24 schools.
- Sarv Shiksha Abhiyan –to provide elementary education to all the children in the age group of 6 to 14 years. Special training centers in 20 clusters covering out of school children.
- Under the Innovative Alternate Education Scheme for slum children, 10,000 slum children mainstreamed.
- E-learning, smart class rooms introduced in all the Government Colleges and Institutions.
- A new Information Technology block completed in Government College for Girls in Sector-42.
- New building for College of Commerce and Business Administration in Sector 50.
- Funds allocation for Hostel Block and auditorium at Post Graduate Government Collage for Boys, Sector 46.
- Central Craft Institute, Sector 11 upgraded by constructing computer labs, lectures rooms, seminar hall.
- Chandigarh College of Engineering and Technology started in Sector 26.
- Substantial enhancement in pay scales of teachers and also librarians in Colleges & University to restore the dignity and pride of the teaching profession. Higher academic grade pay (Rs. 6000/-) for all Asstt. Professors at the entry level to make it more attractive compared to the entry level grade pay of Civil Services etc.
- MBBS Seats in Govt. Medical Collage & Hospital Sector-32 raised from 50 to 100.
- PGI Act amended to enable it grant Degrees to Dental & Nursing students.
- Establishment of a National Institute of Healthcare Engineering and Architecture and National Institute of Para Medical Sciences in PGI approved.
- Dental Collage established by Panjab University. Contributed Rs. One Cr. under MPLADS funds.
- Long Pending demand of pension for PU employees approved.
- University Institute Of Engineering & Technology (UIET) started.
- University Institute of Legal Studies started.
- Up gradation of labs to pursue R&D activities under Technical Education Quality Improvement Program (TEQIP) at PEC, UIET & UIECT.
- Special sanction of over Rs. 750 crores to Panjab University by Govt. of India between 2009-2014 to help meet deficit and setting up of:
- Institute of Emerging Area in Science & Technology, in Social Sciences and in Para Medical Science.
- Gymnasium, Faculty House and ICSR Jubilee Hall constructed.
- Renovation of AC Joshi Library.
- Construction of Rain water harvesting system and upgradation of water supply system.
- Hockey AstroTurf.
- Indoor Shooting range
- 4 new hostels (Women Sports Hostel, Girls’ Hostel No. 8 & 9, Boys’ Hostel No. 8) and Research Scholars’ Hostel.
- Rs. 70 Cr. by Ministry of Science & Technology for setting up Tandetron (Accelerator) for nuclear research in Department of Physics.
- Allocated Rs 1 Cr. under MPLADS for setting up Chandigarh Innovation Knowledge Cluster (CRIKC).
- Allocated Rs 55 lakhs under MPLADS for development of two parks and towards Alumni House.