The Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER) has witnessed a spectacular expansion in patient-care, academic programmes and continuous upgradation of technology.
The following major projects/equipments were completed / installed during the last eight years:
- Advanced Urology Centre.
- Bone Marrow Transplant Centre inaugurated.
- Advanced Eye Centre with a 100 bed facility established.
- Drug De-Addiction & Treatment Centre of 20 beds established.
- The School of Public Health.
- Renal Transplant Centre upgraded.
- New Intensive Care Units for Plastic Surgery (Burn Unit), Liver Diseases and Pulmonary Medicine started functioning.
- A new 66 KV Power Station set up.
- A central facility for sophisticated equipment established to enhance research activities.
- Clean room for Stem Cell Research was established.
- Facility for Phase-I trial for drug testing established.
- The Institute made functional the 'Advanced Cardiac Centre' having 200 beds with 50 bed ICUs, three Cath Labs and four Operation Theatres.
- Positron Emission Tomography (PET) Centre, Gamma Knife and 3-T Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) were established.
- A new air-conditioned animal house (small animal) was established.
- Advanced Trauma Centre began functioning partially. 64 detector computed tomography machine installed along with high end ultrasound machine capable of fusion imaging and navigation. One direct digital X-Ray machine capable of performing 3-D volume radiography and dual energy radiography also started.
- A new Artificial Kidney with 21 hemodialysis machines and another 4 hemodialysis machines for hepatitis B/C infected patients (to prevent spread of these infections to other patients) has been setup.
- An Automated Hematology Analyzer in the Hematology laboratory facility of the Department of Pediatrics installed.
- A Cellonics Laboratory has been set up in the Department of Experimental Medicine & Biotechnology as a DST–FIST sponsored lab and houses a flow cytometer (BD LSR II) with appropriate software and working area.
- The Department of Pulmonary Medicine started providing a state-of-the-art interventional pulmonology services including an endobronchial ultrasound (EBUS) service. This is the only facility in the Government sector in the entire country.
- The Advanced Eye Centre at the PGI introduced femtosecond laser-assisted lasik surgery.
- Two boilers have been installed in the Laundry Section.
- New Oxygen cylinder tank has been installed for Nehru Hospital.
- The Foundation stone of Image Guided Radiation Therapy (IGRT) Complex was laid. This complex will house a High Energy Linear Accelerator and a CT Simulator along with other accessories. The High Energy Linear Accelerator to be installed in the Department of Radiotherapy will have facilities for doing all the latest techniques of radiation for treatment of different cancers.
- Nucleic acid testing (NAT) Lab - the most sensitive and state-of-the-art testing for improving blood safety from transfusion transmissible viral infections–HIV, hepatitis B and hepatitis C started in the Department of Department of Transfusion Medicine.
- The Department of Cytopathology and Gynaecological Pathology has acquired the state-of-the-art facility of Liquid Based Cytology (LBC) which increases the sensitivity of the diagnosis.
- Two new state-of-the-art Gamma Cameras in the main department of Nuclear Medicine were introduced.
Department of Pediatric Medicine established 2 ICMR centers for "evidence-based Child Health" and Primary Immune Deficiency Research.
'Asha Jyoti' Women's Healthcare Outreach Mobile Programme is a mobile van equipped with a microdose digital mammography unit for breast evaluation, a DEXA scan for evaluation of bone density and a digital video colposcope for detection of breast cancer, cervical cancer and osteoporosis.
- CCTV Cameras – 37 cameras installed covering all the outer gates with Pan Tilt Zoom (PTZ) camera facility as well as each and every entry and exit of every building of the Institute related to patient care, waiting halls and the public counters.
- A BSL-III Laboratory for Mycobacteria is under construction.