106 Government Schools in Chandigarh with enrolment of more than 1.50 lakhs students.
- Implementation of Right to Education Act:
- No child will remain out of schools because of the disabilities caused by his family background or his/ her socio-economic conditions.
- More schools have been planned/ established in the thickly-populated and newly developed / unserved habitations of Chandigarh for easier access to schooling with the aim of increasing enrolment and retention rate in the schools.
- 18 new schools are proposed to be constructed during the 12th Five Year Plan, out of which 4 are already in the advanced stage of construction. Work of construction of another 4 has already been started.
- Keeping in view the shifting of population from Colony No 4 and 5 to 8448 flats in Dhanas, four schools (Three High and One Primary) have been planned there. Construction of two of these will start in near future.
Besides this, approximately 200 additional class rooms are being constructed in 16 existing schools.
- 800 odd JBT and TGT teachers have been recruited to bring the Pupil Teacher Ratio within the norms of RTE Act.
- Sports and Youth Affairs Activities:
- 20 Basketball and 20 Volleyball Courts are proposed to be constructed during the current year in various schools of Chandigarh.
- Education Department organised various youth affairs and adventure sports activities.
- Mid-Day-Meal Scheme:
Mid-day-Meal is provided to all the students of Govt. Schools from Class I to VIII to ensure 100% enrolment, attendance and retention.
- Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan
217 Centers are running in Chandigah with the aims to provide quality education to all the children in the age group of 6 to 14 years.
It is endeavored that all the children should be admitted in their age-appropriate class. And if any student is found wanting, then he is taken to the Special Training Centers so that he can be prepared to get admission in the age-appropriate class.
6 Special Training Centers for Orphans/ children of single parents and Street Children are running at Snehalaya, & 2 Special Training Centers for girls in difficult circumstances are being run.
- Scholarships / Stipend to students:
In order to ensure 100% enrolment/ attendance of all the school-going children, incentives like Attendance Scholarships to Girls, Scholarships to SC/ST children, free stationery and uniform to general category boys/ girls, free text books from class I to VIII are being provided.
- Pre-Matric Scholarship.
- National Incentive Scheme for SC Girls.
- Recruitment of Teachers
More than 750 highly qualified and competent teachers recruited in Sarav Shiksha Abhiyan.
- Innovation in teaching and learning process
Two Smart Schools have started, where modern and innovative means have been used for imparting education to the students.
- Implementation of RTE
Right to Education has been implemented.
- Up-gradation of Sports facilities in Schools
Two centers of excellence have been created for Cricket in School grounds (Sector 26 and Sector 35). 08 Tennis Courts have been started in 04 Schools and 20 Basketball Courts and 20 Volleyball Courts are being constructed in the Schools.
- Promotion of School teachers
Around 185 TGT teachers promoted to PGT.
- Technical Education
TEQUIP Project has been launched in PEC University of Technology, University Institute of Engineering and Technology and UICET of Panjab University, Chandigarh and a total sum of Rs.32.00 Crores will be spent in improving the laboratories, starting of new courses, training of teachers and improvement in R&D activities. The effort is to take these institutions towards being a Centre of Excellence in the field.
To impart skill of youth and provide modular employability skill, Chandigarh Council for Vocational Training has been established.
Development plan for the railway road has been prepared for improving the traffic and transport of that area.