Chandigarh city has the unique distinction of being a Union Territory and the Capital City of two states — Punjab and Haryana. Spread over an area of 114 square km., it comprises of the city of Chandigarh and 13 villages and is located between the States of Punjab and Haryana. The UT Administration has taken several development initiatives during these years (2009-2012), some of which are highlighted below:-
Water & Electricity - 2009-10
- A project for upgradation of water supply infrastructure with remote computerized surveillance system for proper monitoring and automation has been partially implemented and is at advanced stage of completion. The system will provide benefits by way of saving in manpower, energy and reduction in water losses.
- The Sewage Treatment Plant has been upgraded from 30 MGD to 45 MGD at Diggain with a cost of Rs. 28 crore.
- Manimajra town has been connected with the canal water supply system.
- A 66 KV Sub-Station has been set up in Sector-56 at an approximate cost of Rs. 14 crore.
- Chandigarh Renewal Energy, Science & Technology Promotion Society (CREST): Chandigarh becomes 1st Solar City of India. Private households can generate power on rooftop of house by installing solar photovoltaic power plant. 30% subsidy is available from the Govt.
- To augment the water supply in the city, 42 tube wells/boosters have been re-bored in various Sectors/wards of the City.
- The water lines of Manimajra, Kajheri, Dadu Majra and Maloya have been augmented. A separate line for supplying canal water to Manimajra has also been commissioned.
- A 30 MGD Sewage Treatment Plant on Moving Bed Biological Reactor (MBBR) technology has been installed and commissioned at Diggian.
Law - 2009-10
- The building of Judicial Academy to impart training to Judicial Officers has been constructed in Sector-43 at the cost of Rs. 62.82 crore with a covered area of 2.44 lakh square feet.
- The construction work on 16 new court rooms in the High Court is being undertaken at a fast pace.
- A Multi Level Parking (3 floors underground and 1 above) which can accommodate over 600 cars has been completed and put to use in High Court Complex at the cost of Rs. 20 crore.
- New Judicial Complex at Sector-43 is also nearing completion.
Training - 2009-10
- A Vocational-cum-Production Centre has been constructed in Sector 46-D.
Health - 2009-10
- Block 'D' of Govt. Medical College & Hospital, Sector-32, Chandigarh has been completed with an estimated cost of Rs. 6.11 crore.
- A Trauma Unit having 22 nos. of beds with Emergency Operation Theatres has been added to the Govt. Multi Specialty Hospital, Sector-16, Chandigarh.
- To upgrade the Government's health infrastructure, a Trauma Unit having 28 Nos. of beds with Emergency Operation Theatres has been added to the Govt. Multi Specialty Hospital (GMSH), Sector-16, Chandigarh. ECG facility in Emergency/Casualty has been made free of cost for all cases i.e indoor/outdoor.
- The Poly Clinic has been upgraded to Community Health Centre having indoor facilities for Chest and TB patients and 30 bedded Gynaecology and Obstetrics Wing thereby reducing the work load on Govt. Multi Specialty Hospital (GMSH), Sector-16, Chandigarh.
- Round the clock maternity services in Community Health Centre, Manimajra started.
- Seven Nos. of new ambulances (Swaraj Mazda) have been purchased for patient transportation.
- A Drug De-addiction Centre in Govt. Multi Specialty Hospital (GMSH), Sector-16, Chandigarh has also been started.
- The work on Block E of the Government Medical College and Hospital (GMCH) is being executed and work on Block J of GMCH has been completed.
- New 5 Storey OPD Block has been made functional in Government Multi Speciality Hospital, Sector 16, Chandigarh.
- Facilities revamped and launched at Government Multi Speciality Hospital, Sector 16, Chandigarh :
- Fully Air Conditioned OPD Block equipped with lifts, ramp and stairs.
- 20 Registration (15 for Outdoor tickets and 05 for payments) counters has been started in 1st and 2nd floor to reduce the queues.
- Free medicines dispersed in OPD’s for needy and poor.
- Computerized reports (Lab/ X-ray) and Discharge slips has been started.
- Distribution of Emergency Laboratory reports has been started.
- Issue of Birth Certificates in Labour Room.
- Eye/ ENT Ward and OT made functional on the 5th Floor.
- Emergency has been expanded from 16 to 82 beds.
- MTP OT has been renovated with extra space.
- Separate Orthopaedics Operation Theatre has been set up and independent OT’s are available 24 x 7 for Surgery, Orthopaedics, Trauma, Eye, ENT and Gynae thereby reducing the waiting period for surgeries.
- Separate Ultra Sound facilities have been set up for General OPD, Intervention Ultra Sound facility, Gynae Ultra Sound and Labour Room Ultra Sound for quick diagnosis and treatment thereof.
- Separate Mammography facility has been set up.
- Private Rooms facility has been enhanced with addition of 04 rooms on 4th Floor of Multi Storeyed Building with Air Conditioning of old and new rooms.
- GPRS installed in all hospital vehicles and ambulances.
- Facility for quick redresal of public grievances and help required in Emergency has been established near the Emergency.
- Signages and scrolls have been installed.
- Parking area has been expanded.
- CCTV Cameras have been installed.
- Bio Metric Attendance has been started.
- UPGRADATION OF PRIMARY HEALTH CENTRE TO CIVIL HOSPITAL, MANIMAJRA
- 50 bedded New Air Conditioned Emergency-cum-Mother & Child Block has been started thereby enhancing the bed capacity to 100 bedded Civil Hospital, Manimajra at a cost of Rs. 6.87 crores.
- Physiotherapy OPD has been started.
- 24 X 7 ECG, Radiology & Laboratory services has been started.
- Additional doctors/ para-medical/ supporting staff has been given to strengthen the Civil Hospital, for providing 24 x 7 facilities to the residents of Manimajra.
Tourism - 2009-10
- A new lake has been constructed in Sector-42 with an estimated cost of Rs. 3.12 crore.
- Chandigarh is being promoted as a City of Greens and Gardens, Organization of Mega Festivals like the Rose Festival, Chandigarh Carnival etc. as well as a M.I.C.E. destination for hosting of National and International Conferences and conventions.
- Work on the desiltation of Sukhna Lake continued and 1.08 core cubic feet of silt has been removed from the bed of Sukhna Lake with the help of dragline machines, JCBs, dumpers and tractors.
- A two kilometer long pavement for pedestrians, beautification of Sukhna Plaza, Sukhna Island and the Bandstand at a cost of Rs. 6 crore approx. has been undertaken.
- A new Tourist Information Centre and Le Corbusier Souvenir Shop has also been opened at Sukhna Lake.
- Single-Window system to obtain the introductory letter for visiting the Capitol Complex, Sec-1, Chandigarh has been introduced for the convenience of various Foreign/domestic Tourists visiting the City from all over the Country and abroad who intend to see and study the Architecture work of Le Corbusier at the Capitol Complex, Sec-1, Chandigarh. The introductory letter can also be obtained from any of the Tourist Information Centres, viz., Plaza, Sec-17, Chandigarh, Sukhna Lake and Le Corbusier Centre, Sector-19, Chandigarh.
- Development of New Gardens : Garden of Palms, Sector 42, Garden of Conifers, Sector 52, Japanese Garden, Sector 31, Garden of Spring, Sector 53, Garden of Animals, Sector 49
- Mega Events organised Annually by the Tourism Deptt. : - World Music Day was celebrated on 20 & 21 June. - World Tourism Week was celebrated from 24 to 30 September. - Chandigarh Carnival was scheduled from 23 to 25 November. - New Year Extravaganza had various activities to enthrall the general public and tourists. - Chandigarh Rose Festival will be celebrated from 22 to 24 February, 2013.
Roads - 2009-10
- The construction of 6/4 lane dual carriage way linking NH 21 from Halo Majra side to Panchkula has been completed with an estimated cost of Rs. 9.96 core.
- Road connectivity with neighbouring townships of Panchkula and Mohali is being improved by construction of a Railway Under Bridges and 4 bridges on major rivulets.
Security - 2009-10
- 60 CCTV cameras are being installed at various locations in the city for round the clock surveillance by Police.
- For better traffic management, CCTVs have been installed at 20 busy intersections. In additional to this, 4 Static & 1 PTZ cameras have also been installed on 19 roundabouts/intersections with online connectivity at Traffic Control at Traffic Lines, Chandigarh.
- A State of Art Control Room with GPS facility has been set up at Police Headquarters. One Explosive Narcotic Chemical Detector, 100 No. each of Bullet Proof Jackets, Vests, Patkas and 10 Morchas, 2 Optical Fiber Scope have been purchased under the Police Modernization Scheme.
- The Chandigarh Police has been modernized with latest equipment, arms & ammunitions, effective communication system and mobility. A high level tech Police Control Room has been set up to ensure that the police reaction time to calls from public to minimized. Auto dialler facility has been set up in collaboration with banks and jewellers shops. Two Mobile Police Stations have been pressed into service in order to provide quick service to the citizens living in Chandigarh.
- The shooting range at Sector-25 is being upgraded to world class facilities.
- The beat system has been revamped by providing a mobile telephone to each Constable.
- Police patrolling has been intensified through additional deployment of GPS equipped Gypsys and new fleet of motor cycles.
Disposal of Waste/Garbage - 2009-10
- A device for Bio-Medical Waste Management has been installed with the approval of Pollution Control Board by the Health Department.
Transport - 2009-10
- 100 modern low floor buses purchased under JNNURM will be inducted in the fleet of Chandigarh Transport Undertaking shortly. Speed governors have been installed in all the city buses. The Global Positioning System is being installed in the city buses.
- To strengthen the public transport system, 60 non-AC semi low floor buses are 25 AC semi low floor buses are being plied under JNNURM Scheme and are fitted with ultra Modern facilities for comfortable journey of commuters. At present, the Chandigarh Transport Undertaking is operating bus services from two ISBTs equipped with modern facilities at Sector-43 ad Sector-17.
- A fleet of 134 new buses has been introduced under the JNNURM raising the fleet of the Chandigarh Transport Undertaking (CTU) in the city from 160 to 294 and reducing the frequency time from 30 to 15 minutes on major routes.
- Global Positioning System (PIS) has been installed on 100 buses and 50 bus queue shelters in the city local operation.
- The bus terminus in Sector-43 has been upgraded by adding 8 more bays.
- In addition to the existing 192 bus queue shelters in the city, 60 more are being constructed with all modern facilities for convenience of the commuters.
Trade & Industry - 2010-11
- For Industrial promotion, a Tool Room Facility (Industrial Development Facility Centre) is being provided to small scale industrial units through CITCO on economical rates.
- Quality marking centre has been set up to maintain the quality of electrical appliances.
- Common facility centre has been set up to provide facilities to potters (weaker section of society).
- Entrepreneurial Development Programme, seminars are being organized with the objective to guide and educate industries to know latest techniques about marketing, availing financial assistance from different financial institutions and raw material.
- The Punjab Value Added Tax (Fourth Amendment) Act, 2007 wad extended to Union Territory of Chandigarh by the Central Government vide notification dated 13.10.2010.
- Under the Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises Development Act, 2006, 772 additional units of small and medium entrepreneurs have been.set up. These units are mainly ancillary in nature and offering employment to about 26,400 persons.
Education/Sports/Youth Affairs - 2010-11
- To strengthen and modernize the Government educational set up, the ICT Scheme under Centrally Sponsored Scheme is being implemented.
- On-line admission has been introduced for Class 9th from the year 2010.
- Continuous Comprehensive Evaluation has been introduced in Class 10th from the year 2010.
- Regular Workshops have been conducted for Govt. Schools to improve the teacher taught relationships in which teachers and parents were involved.
- Three new integrated school buildings have been completed in 2011-12.
- A new Information Technology block has been completed in Government College for Girls in Sector-42.
- Work on a new building for College of Commerce and Business Administration has started during 2011-12 in Sector-50.
- Revamping of Mid-day Meal Scheme was undertaken by improving the menu and continuous quality monitoring.
- Toilets and drinking water facilities have been provided at a cost of Rs. 90 lakh in 24 different schools.
- Under the Innovative Alternate Education Scheme for slum children, 6,000 slum children were mainstreamed during the year as against 4,000 last year.
- Fifteen computer labs have been established in different Government/Government Aided School during the current financial year. E-learning smart class rooms have been introduced in all the Government Colleges and Institutions.
- Presently running 105 schools with an overall enrolment of more than 1.5. lacs.
- Government Schools being converted into Smart Schools – provides an opportunity to bring various media of teaching like texts, audio, video, graphics, animations, already available documentaries for increased student involvement and reinforcement of the learning experience. This leads to increased retention and a stronger grasp of the subject at hand.
- Recruitment of teachers – To ensure that adequate number of teachers are available in different cadres, the Sarv Shiksha Abhiyan Society, UT Chandigarh, established under aegis of Education Deptt. of Chandigarh Administration has recently recruited 226 TGT teachers and 654 JBT teachers.
- Mid Day Meal Scheme – providing mid day meal to the students of Govt. Schools of Chandigarh from class 1 to 8.
- Sarv Shiksha Abhiyan – a campaign to provide elementary education to all the children falling under the age group of 6 to 14 years, in pursuance thereof, the following steps have been taken by the SSASociety of Education Department, Chandigarh Administration – (i) 205 special training centres on non residential basis are running in 20 clusters covering 5522 out of school children. (ii) 6 non residential special trainin centres for orphans, single parents and street children at Snehalaya and 2 NRTCs for girls in difficult circumstances, residing in Nari/Bal Niketan, Chandigarh, are running covering 200 children in UT Chandigarh. (iii)179 out of school children were found at different construction sites. (iv) SSA Chandigarh is running one special training centre for the children lodged at Juvenile Justice Home who have been there for indulgence in some criminal activities.
- In the 57th National School Games, 1552 players participated in 38 games organised for boys and girls in the age group of under 11, 14, 16, 17 and 19. Chandigarh teams achieved a high position in the medal tally of School Games Federation of India by winning 18 Gold, 24 Silver and 44 Bronze Medals in the national level competitions.
- Cash Benefit Transfers – Under this scheme, on Jan 1, 2013, cash was transferred directly to the UID enabled accounts of around 900 students under pre-matric scholarship scheme of SC.
- Implementation of the RTE Act – Education Deptt. of UT Administration has taken all possible measures to implement and Compulsory Education Act, 2009 in the right earnest.
Social Security - 2010-11
- In the field of social welfare, financial assistance of Rs. 20,000 is provided for the marriage of daughters of Widows/Destitute Women belonging to the Scheduled Caste communities who are living below poverty line. Scheme of "Free Education for meritorious scheduled castes and other backward students" has been introduced. Three Child Helplines have been set up in the Women & Child Support unit in Sector-17, 46 and PGI in Sector-12, Chandigarh.
Parks/Green Belts/Beautification/Environment - 2011-12
- About 3,000 diesel driven autos were replaced by LPG driven autos by systematic mobilization and financial assistance by the Administration to reduce pollution levels. More LPG Gas stations have been set up in Sector-21 and Sector-38 (West).
- Illumination, beautification and landscaping of Rose Garden has been completed with financial support of Rs. 2.69 crore granted by the Ministry of Tourism.
- The work on the "Valley of Animals", a unique topiary park having different topiary animals related to different biosphere zones has been taken up.
- Illumination and construction of medication huts, tree top huts and nature interpretation centre have been undertaken at a cost of Rs. 3.13 crore.
Art & Craft - 2011-12
- The 3rd Chandigarh National Crafts Mela was organized at Kala Gram from 08.10.2011 to 17.10.2011.
Information Technology - 2011-12
- Sampark Centres - The e-Sampark and Gram Sampark service has been strengthened. Presently, 22 Government to Citizen and 5 Business to Citizen services being provided at the doorsteps of Citizens through 12 e-Sampark and 13 Gram Sampark Centres. (Check no. of centres)
- Under the National e-Governance Plan (NeGP) of the Government of India, SPIC (Society for Promotion of IT in Chandigarh), under "Mission Mode Project" is executing e-Governance in Chandigarh Administration & Municipal Corporation, Chandigarh with an aim to provide all the services to the citizens online and promote e-governance, software exports, human resource development.
- Smart Card Project has been launched. During the current year 5,500 Smart Cards have been distributed to the beneficiaries. To ensure effective implementation of Essential Commodities Act, 66 inspections were conducted against hoarders and cases were registered against Fair Price Shops and violation of PDS Control Order and against persons having excess sugar stock.
- Rajiv Gandhi Chandigarh Technology Park – State of the art 350 acres ISO 9001:2000 certified Technology Park is presently a home for more than 60 companies with nearly 16,000 employees.
- Chandigarh IT Reach Out Program – is running at Bal Bhawan & Madrassas to equip underprivileged students with IT skills.
- C-TOSS – Chandigarh Training on Soft Skills program is an initiative to develop human resource at grass root level which will upgrade the basic understanding of written & spoken English language & make them employable & also create talent pool for IT/ITES Industry. Program is running in 81 government Schools & Madrassas of Chandigarh.
- Cyber Security Research Centre – Set up in Punjab Engineering College by Administration in association with NASSCOM. Centre conducts high quality research in cyber security & creating awareness.
- Entrepreneur Development Centre – The building is set up over an area of 1.5 acres in RGCTP. Providing state of the art built up space small & medium companies to boast IT exports. IT exports from Rajiv Gandhi Chandigarh Technology Park has risen to Rs. 1,000 crore.
Housing & Slum Rehabilitation - 2011-12
- Under the Slum Rehabilitation Scheme of JNNURM, 2,112 small flats have been constructed by Chandigarh Housing Board (CHB) and possession has been handed over to 1,505 slum dwellers.
- Draw of lots for various categories of 3,900 flats to be constructed under "Self Financing Housing Scheme — 2008" on leasehold basis for employees of Chandigarh Administration has been conducted.
- Construction of 2,108 flats of different categories in Sector-63 under 'General Housing Scheme' has been taken up.
- Construction work on 160 Category-II Flats in Sector 51-A under 'General Housing Scheme' has also started.
- Implementing construction of 25728 small flats at 8 locations in Chandigarh under the 'Chandigarh Small Flats Scheme-2006'.
- Physical possession of 2630 small flat has already been handed over to the beneficiaries at Sector 49, 38-West, Sector 56 & at Ram Darbar.
- With the objective of providing better living conditions, the design of small flats having carpet area of 25.274 sq.mtr. has been modified for the remaining 12992 small flat which are yet to be constructed at Maloya-I, Maloya-II & Mauli Jagran as desired by our MP, Pawan Kumar Bansal and Hon'ble Minister, HUPA, GOI.
Chandigarh Administration & Municipal Corporation - 2011-12
- In order to ensure better devolution and delegation, some important functions, hitherto with the Administration, such as Primary Health Care, Primary Education, all V-3 roads and major gardens have been transferred to the Municipal Corporation alongwith staff and funds.
- Chandigarh Administration & National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) organised Mega Mock Drill on 13 February, 2013 for the residents of Chandigarh and launched 24x7 emergency helpline no. 1077.
Social Welfare - Physically Disabled/Scheduled Castes/Tribes/Backward Classes - 2011-12
- A Scheme of Free Education for meritorious students belonging to Scheduled Castes (SCs) and other backward classes has been introduced.
- The SC children living below the poverty line are being imparted training in Dress Designing, Cutting, Tailoring and Embroidery Course, Computer Hardware, Computer Software Course, Beauty Culture Course, Mobile Repair, Electricals, Masonry Work, Dress/Fashion Designing, Driving Course, Domestic Cook, Carpentry etc.
- Financial Assistance for the marriage of daughters of Windows/Destitute Women belonging to SC Community: Rs. 20,000/- upto two daughters.
- Encouragement to inter-caste marriage: Rs, 50,000/- one time.
- Persons with disabilities with a maximum income limit of Rs. 2500 per month who own motorized vehicles, are being provided 50% subsidy on actual expenditure incurred on purchase of petrol/diesel.
- Financial assistance is being provided to physically challenged persons for purchase of Aids/Appliances to increase their mobility in their day to day functioning subject to maximum of Rs. 20,000/-.
- Loans to Handicapped is provided to persons under various income generating schemes of National Handicapped Finance and Development Corporation (NHFDC) on a very low rate of Interest for starting income generating ventures.
- Unemployment Allowance to Persons with Disabilities: Rs. 150/- to Rs. 400/- p.m. Depending upon qualification & type of disability.
- National Family Benefit Scheme: Rs. 10,000/- one time.
- Apni Beti Apna Dhan: Rs. 5,000/- each (one time up to two girl childs).
- Old Age Pension: Rs. 500/- p.m. per beneficiary. Rs. 200/- additional pension to BPL card holders p.m. per beneficiary. Rs. 500/- additional pension to BPL card holders who completed the age of 80 yrs.
- Pension to Widows and Destitute women: Rs. 500/- p.m. per beneficiary. Rs. 200/- additional pension to BPL card holders who completed the age of 40 years.
- Pension to disabled persons: Rs. 500/- p.m. per beneficiary. Rs. 200/- additional pension to BPL card holders with severe disability (80% and above) and who have completed.
- Financial assistance to dependent children of widows and Destitute Women: Rs. 200 p.m. per child up to two children in a family.
- Loan on very low rate of interest for SC/OBC/Minorities & dependants of Safaikaramcharis.
- Self Employment Schemes: Starting any small business like Karyana Shop, Confectionary Shop, Tea Shop, Furniture Shop, Vegetable Shop, Meat Shop, Tailoring Work, Cloth/Readymade Garments Business, Loan for LPG three wheeler, Motor repair/Spare Parts shop, Electronic Shop, etc.
- Education Loan for all professional, technical courses at graduate and higher level approved by appropriate authority. Loan includes admission fee, tuition fee, books, stationery and other instrument required for the course like examination fee, lodging and boarding expenditure etc.
- For Loan up to Rs. 25,000/-, no need of any kind of surety, for loan above Rs. 25,000/- surety of Employee working in Govt. Sector/Semi Govt. Sector/Corporation/Board etc. is required. Rate of Interest is 4-6% p.a. Repayment period is 3-4½ years, application form available free of cost from the office of this Corporation.